Monday, August 23, 2010

So I've been here a few days...



I'm officially moved in and settled in Mainz - except for that pesky visa thing. I have found my way around most of the city and lucky for me if I ever get truly lost I live next to a pretty big church, St. Stephen's, famous for its Chagall windows. My apartment is tiny - really tiny - but in an excellent location. I can walk anywhere in 10-15 minutes.

I've spent my days walking around the old city, trying to figure out where each small side street twists off to. Every little street in this city seems to magically connect to some square or church. I'm constantly finding new ways to get around town. There is a big market next to the Mainzer Dom (Mainz Cathedral) on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. I went on Friday and Saturday to pick up fresh fruit and flowers for my room. I plan to shop at the market for almost everything while in season - the selection is amazing!Most afternoons I go down to the Rhine to read. There is an awesome park with plenty of benches and green space for blankets. And the view isn't so bad either:
Yesterday, I met up with another Fulbrighter, Sally, who will be teaching in Mainz, before she goes back to the States for a week. She spent a gap year in Mainz between high school and college, so she was shocked that she was placed here again! We went to lunch then went to the beach on the Rhine (which I had yet to discover!). In the summer they put sand down in part of the park and set up beach chairs and hammocks facing the river. This will definitely become a new reading spot!

It was so nice to see a familiar (though Facebook) face. Mainz is an awesome city, but I am starting to get a bit bored exploring the city alone. I have thirteen days until orientation to keep myself occupied, which is a long time with very little money and the university not being in session. After trying to settle a few more logistics today, I hope to go over to Wiesbaden and up to Ingelheim this week and maybe cash in and take a Rhine cruise. Maybe I'll get out of town for a day-trip this weekend. I'm really starting to get anxious for my job to start!

lg,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment