Tuesday, November 9, 2010

MLIA

My life is average.

I work twelve hours a week. I have a lot of free time. So what do I do with my life? Let's see:

Twice a month I go to an English Club of Mainz-Wiesbaden outing. This usually involves chatting in English and enjoying a delicious beverage. The people are incredibly friendly and our chats cover all subject matter. This club is also my resource for finding out other interesting cultural events, because these folks generally read the newspaper (and/or are German), and I don't.

Every Saturday or Sunday I go to the Porterhouse Irish Pub to watch the Mainz05 Fußball (soccer) match. This usually involves enjoying a delicious beverage and figuring out when to yell at the TV. I'm getting pretty good (at the beverage enjoying and the yelling). Mainz is actually doing very well this season (currently second place!), so this is usually an afternoon well spent. And the very Irish owner has a very Irish sheep dog. He's fuzzy (the dog, not the owner).

On the first Thursday of the month, I go to a Fulbright Alumni meeting in Frankfurt. I hang out with Germans who spent a year in the US. We usually discuss US current events, in German, and enjoy delicious beverages. And since most of these folks are bankers, lawyers, and professors, I've been practicing my awesome networking skills.

Weekly, I get together with three other Fulbrighters, Sally, Liz, and Emily, so we can fulfill our Glee addictions. This usually involves watching Glee, sharing school (horror) stories, eating chocolate and enjoying delicious beverages.

I also tutor, I occasionally attend a lecture on Heinrich von Kleist at the university, and I like buying vegetables at the market on Fridays. I attempt to bake using American recipes, and I usually fail.

A few things I've done since the Fall Break Adventure:

I celebrated Halloween with the Fulbrighters. I was Lil' Red Ridin' Hood, one of the beloved Grimm Gangstas. The party also featured Bingen Mice, a cat, a zombie soccer player, Jessica Rabbit, two Swedes, 'Axe-Murdered' and 'The Oil Spill'. Gosh, we are so white.  

Jessica Rabbit (Jessica), Cat (Emily), Bingen Mice (Beth & Lori)

Axe-Murdered (Issac) and The Oil Spill (John)

  The bottle is Rotkäppchen Champagne. Rotkäppchen is Little Red Riding Hood in German. Clever.

Last Sunday, I went with Fulbrighters Emily and Beth to a Freezemob in Frankfurt. It was pretty fun. You can see the video here. And here.

Another great thing about free time is that I get to travel! I'm going to visit Dan in Eichstätt for the weekend! 

So, that's my Average Life in a nutshell.

Lg, 
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment